Tuesday, September 13, 2011

1 Peter 1

I try to imagine how it felt to be a Christian at the time of this letter.  And sometimes I feel as if I'm "dispersed" somehow longing to be in community with my brothers and sisters.  I'm in the midst of planning our Los Angeles trip to show Zoe to my family and see old friends and go to a wedding.  I am planning it as if this will be the last trip to Los Angeles -- for at least 5 years.  Being in New Jersey has been tough and has been fun.  I've had the great opportunity to meet Christians and make friends but I do long for that sense of community.  I remember my days in seminary - where my whole apartment building was owned by the seminary and so... a prayer partner was just a door away.  I worked with Christians in our development office and we had Bible studies together...  those were good times.
My college friends are now mommies - and they still meet at least once a month even though they live within 100 miles of each other... They are still very active in their faith. 

As my mother-in-law packed her things and moved to Jersey - the idea that we might just settle here on the east coast is slowly sinking in -that the things that I left behind are right where I left them...   I am making new memories, new friends here.  I'm in a different place in my life now...  and my friendships don't resemble the ones I had in my 20s.  I am encouraged by the words to remain hopeful not of the things that I am to experience here on earth but what I have awaiting me in the end... or rather at the beginning of eternity - if that makes any sense.  I am encouraged to make the most of my experiences here whether they last a few months or years or decades.  That although there is this homesickness, a longing for something that made me feel "settled"... that there is a real "home" to look forward to -- a real permanent one.

And I find myself really thankful for you two women.  Caren, I love that you had this idea and took the initiative to start something that I definitely needed.  I love that you tirelessly organize events for the mommies group and I'm still just trying to figure out how to contribute as an asst. organizer.  Amy, I thank you for being a great sister and friend to talk to.  You were definitely a breath of fresh air at church...someone I really looked forward to seeing.  I love and admire your heart and am excited to get to know you more.

All things do fade but the word of the Lord does remain forever.  

1 Comments:

At October 1, 2011 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Ragamuffin said...

Thanks Rana! Thanks for agreeing to read the Bible with me. It's been great!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home