Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hebrews 8-9

Caren, I keep thinking about your post when you said that Hebrews is beautifully written, etc...
I don't consider this letter to the Hebrews an enjoyable read at all.  It feels as if I need to be reading Leviticus at the same time -- which is recommended..  Too many OT references and too many questions on my part.  But, I guess that's a good thing.  Sometimes my post-pregnancy brain can't handle this much thinking.

As I read these chapters, I do realize that I need to be more aware of Jewish history, thought and perspectives.  As a Christian, I don't give much thought to the first covenant and what that meant to the people.  But, without a good understanding of the first covenant and its implications- it's difficult to understand the importance of Jesus' role as high priest and perfect sacrifice.  Also, I would never be able to understand the difficulty of these sacrifices made on behalf of sins.  Thus, I will never understand the price that was paid...  But, what does that say of my faith?  It really is this free gift to someone who never knew that this gift ever had a price.  It really is a challenge for me these days to get to know my Jewish friends more..  What is it that they believe?  What is the difficulty in accepting Jesus as the Messiah?

Is God asking me to step out and start these commonly taboo and not PC topics of discussion? I was getting comfortable doing my part in the Great Commission by being a gentle witness.  Lord, I want to be a witness for you but I don't want to be the kind that is preachy..  I want to be an effective witness for you...

1 Comments:

At August 9, 2011 at 12:40 AM , Blogger Ragamuffin said...

Wow Rana! This is the first time we had similar thoughts about Hebrews...I'm very excited what God has planned for us...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home